What in the George Jetson

It is definitely interesting to see where and what is going on with technology these days.  For some of us, we might classify ourselves as technology geeks and for others we classify ourselves as having really cool gadgets.  On either side of the coin, technology has definitely evolved over the past 150 years. 

In April 1891, Alexander Graham Bell did actually record conceptual notes on an electrical radiophone, which discussed "....the possibility of seeing by electricity" using devices that employed tellurium or selenium imaging components.[11] Bell went on to later predict that: "...the day would come when the man at the telephone would be able to see the distant person to whom he was speaking."

File:Video telephony as imagined in 1910.jpgI had a great opportunity the other day to meet some great people that I work with all the way across the country.  I have to tell you, it is so exciting to not only talk to people that I work with these days, but I actually have the ability to meet them.  Tyrone and Bill are business partners of mine that live in New Jersey.  These days, I am living in the great Pacific Northwest and I literally plugged this new videophone into my router, dialed Tyrone's home number and boom, there they were.  I assisted them in chatting with a few people to help build their new business venture and was able to "work" the crowd 2500 miles away and 3 time zones away.  It reminds me of the Jetsons when Mr. Spacely would light poor George up on the massive jumbotron!  Crazy.

I had no idea the technological capabilities that seem to be popping up all around us.  All of these new 3G and 4G wireless networks that I keep hearing about apparently have the ability to support video calls as well.  The networks that can support this technology are called UMTS (to be honest, no clue what the heck that really means), but overseas, people today are using their very own cell phones to make these video phone calls.

Crazy, right.  Can you imagine what it would have been like growing up in the current age of this video phone thing?  I'm guessing that most of us at one time or another was somewhere other than where we told our parents we were at.  If you currently have teenagers, would it be nice to say, "Where are you at?" to one of your kids, and then follow that up with, "Show me!"

Pray for my children as you know they aren't getting anything by me!  And yes, I am delusional!

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes